Friday, September 19, 2008

long ago expired

empty as the seats around me
the blank stares of no one
remind me i am home

tonight we will meet
and say nothing
as the evening absorbs our words

the touch of your hands
upon me, hollow and cold
as the indifference in my soul

strangers for the reasoning
of self-preservation
two hopeless indigents of love

no sense in reaching out
to offer aid to the other
as failure defines us both

culpable in our shared loathing
we relish the company of no one
other than the shadows of our past

we breathe as one from necessity
not for the living of life
but as the mechanical process to continue

long ago expired we tread
upon the same grade and terrain
as only rote memory dictates

tonight, empty, cold, and tired
we continue our hollow stare
expecting only the inevitable

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's as if You have peered into my soul and have written a moment (or moments) from my life. The feelings You describe, I have felt on more than one occasion.

When I feel this "indifference in my soul." There is no passion, no concern, no excitement. Only apathy.

Stoic.